Six Detox Drinks You Should Take to Cleanse Your Lungs
The lungs are organs that have the life force of the whole organ family in the body. The ayurvedic term for breath is ‘Prana’, which translates to life. In the case of lungs, keeping them well functioning is the only thing to do for a long and healthy life. A subtle example is when you have sudden migraines or feel heavy headed, it is caused when enough oxygen is not being supplied to your head. Lungs have their capacity to push oxygen through the heart and mix it in the blood to be supplied to all the cells in the body. When that capacity is lowered, it could be in the lungs or in other parts of the body, is when the troubles start. The most common reason why the lungs diminish in strength is breathing in too many pollutants or smoking cigarettes. Harmful chemicals in the air you breathe get accumulated in the bronchial sacs inside your lungs. They keep the oxygen molecules from being absorbed by the blood vessels that carry it to the heart. Thus, lungs require regular cleansing through drinks and methods which can detox them. In this article, we bring you the six most effective homemade drinks that will help with lung detox:
1. Honey with hot water - Honey has been used since ancestral times to cure the ailments of the chest and throat. You must have gotten a lot of advice on drinking honey with hot water to treat congestion of the chest. While it is done only on days where you have congestion, it can also be done every morning during winters to make sure that you don’t get a sore throat or cough. Honey has anti-inflammatory properties that cleanse pollutants from the lungs and removes mucus.
2. Green tea - Green tea was once a drink of the elite and people didn’t know much about it. In the recent decade, however, green tea has become a popular and readily available drink. A lot of dieticians and health enthusiasts are suggesting green tea as a staple drink for good health. Green tea has a lot of antioxidant properties which help the lungs to detox by removing inflammation. In turn, the lungs shed all the mucus and start a cleansing process to throw out all the pollutants. Drinking at least 2 cups a day in the morning and night respectively can help with strengthening the lungs.
3. Cinnamon water - Spices have a lot of healing and antioxidant properties and cinnamon is one of them. Cinnamon has a heaty composition and instills healing for tissues. A lot of Indian dishes that come out of the cold northern parts of India have cinnamon as one of the main ingredients. It is because cinnamon prevents the formation of mucus in the lungs and keeps the bones and muscles heated in cold weather. While cinnamon is heaty, it also has anti-inflammatory properties which can heal the damage done to the lungs with cigarette smoke or pollutants. Boiling up a couple inches of cinnamon in water and drinking that before bed can help with lung detox.
4. Ginger turmeric drink - The world of spices and herbs has a lot of plants that can act as medicine. If we rank them all, turmeric and ginger might be at the top 2 positions. Turmeric has been used since ancient Egypt as medicine and ointment. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory composition makes it a powerful detox agent for a lot of ailments. Ginger too has similar qualities which makes it a great medicine for the lungs and gut. Ginger and turmeric boiled together in water with some honey will make a highly beneficial drink which will relieve all the symptoms of cough, cold, and flu in a couple of days. In addition to that, drinking turmeric and ginger boiled in milk results in mucus removal and lung cleansing.
5. Licorice tea - Licorice or mulethi is a perennial plant that is found in most of the forests in India. The roots of the plant have a lot of medicinal properties for the cardio-thoracic part of the body. Mulethi acts on mucus in all parts of the body. What it does is that it regulates the mucus formation in the body. With smoke and pollution, the lungs start to create excess mucus in order to throw out the pollutants as a natural cleansing process, but over time the coughing cessation reduces and the mucus gets accumulated. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of mulethi help reduce the effects of pollutants and reduce the formation of mucus in the lungs. In turn, the lungs get a detox that allows you to breathe better.
6. Apple, beetroot and carrot smoothie - Apple, beetroot and carrot are the three horsemen of good health. An apple a day keeps lung conditions away. Lungs are always vulnerable to oxidative stress which inflames the airways of the lungs. Apples, with their high quantities of antioxidants, help to relieve that stress and improve lung function. They prevent the lungs from developing pulmonary disorders and asthma. Beetroot is also beneficial to the lungs because it has a compound called nitrates, which keeps the lungs in peak performance and helps you breathe better. Carrots are similar to beetroots and have Vitamins A and C along with lycopene. These nutrients are anti-inflammatory and heal damage to the lungs from pollutants. Grinding apple, beetroot and carrot into a smoothie to drink every morning will instill a faster lung detox.
If you have a long history of smoking and have recently quit, the lungs start to create more mucus to remove all the tar that has accumulated over the years. While the mucus will be formed slowly, overtime it will have adverse effects on your breathing. Lungs that have been through long term damage require cleansing through powerful agents. Ayurvedic remedies with natural herb extracts will help you with that. Qraamen’s Lung Detox Capsules have the goodness of mulethi, haldi (turmeric), tulsi, etc. all of each aim at relieving lung issues.