The scorching heat of the summer months can mess up with the skin. The long outdoor hours, the extremes of temperatures, the sweat can lead to a number of skin problems in the hot months of summer. Although summer has its own charm when you can enjoy chilled drinks, ice creams and other frozen desserts, but you really need to train your skin just like your body for the summer months of heat and sweat. There are a number of skin issues that people suffer from during summers and here we highlight 6 common skin problems along with certain tips to tackle the issues in the best possible manner:
1. Acne Breakouts: When the sweat mixes with the bacteria and the oils in the skin it can lead to the clogging of your skin pores. The combination of dirt and heat paves the way for acnes. The dirt clogs the skin pores and the heat offers the bacteria the ideal environment to grow. This is a common problem that people suffer from in the summer and if one has acne prone skin then it invariably means breakouts. Acne breakouts can be extremely painful and at times it might get infected and leave stubborn acne marks and spots on the skin.
- Wash your face at least thrice with your recommended face wash and make sure to keep your face clean as far as possible.
- Use a good facial cleanser every morning to free the skin of dirt, dust and other impurities.
- Use organic face masks that come with cooling and healing properties like that of Multani Mitti, Sandalwood etc.
- Wear a sunscreen religiously at least 20 minutes before you step out in the sun. Make sure to apply it evenly not only on the face, but also, neck, arms etc. Re-apply every 5 hours.
- Wear clothes that cover as much of skin as possible.
- Use an Aloe Vera gel mask at the end of the day for some instant relief and cooling sensation.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Drink lots of juices and refreshing drinks to keep yourself cool.
- Eat lots of fresh summer fruits that are high on water content like, watermelon etc.
5. Tanning: Summer tans is as common as sweating during the hot and humid months of the year. When you are exposed to the sun’s U.V radiation, the skin’s melanin is known to form a protective shield. It results in dark pigmentation, either in patches or in a uniform manner which varies from person to person. This results in the conditions that we popularly call hyperpigmentation, skin darkening or tanning.
6. Heat Rashes: Several factors might lead to making your skin irritable during the summer months. Along with the extremes of temperature, there is sweating that puts a lot of pressure on the skin. At times, dust and dirt clogs the sweat ducts of the skin which traps the perspiration. This results in itchy rashes, mini-bumps or blisters for the matter. Clothes can also add up to the irritability owing to friction. Heat rashes are a common skin problem that people suffer from during summers.
- Keep yourself clean, especially if you know that you sweat a lot. Bathe twice a day in such case.
- Use an anti-bacterial soap.
- Rub ice-cubes on the rashes for instant relief. Let not these skin problems spoil the summer fun and frolic as you remember to do the needful to prevent the same. In case the skin problems don’t seem to subside, then remember to consult your dermatologist at the earliest.